Friday 27 November 2009

Newcastle then, and now, mainly.







I think that all of these pictures are of buildings in Newcastle that existed pre-1914, maybe pre-1900, and still exist now, bar maybe the last one, as I'm not sure where that is. The others are Stephenson Monument near Central Station, The Side, Eldon Square, Dog Leap Stairs, Central Station (from the west) and the Central pub in Gateshead.

I'm reading a bit about Victorian Newcastle at the moment but these are images I've taken from the internet. I haven't noted where I found them. Sorry about that. Newcastle Libararies on Flickris good though, as is Amber photography's website (even if you don;t give two shits about the Victorians or Newcastle).

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about the last one either but there used to be some buildings round the back of the University that looked like that; which would make sense if the spire is of St Thomas's The Martyr. There was a big demolition program last year so I think they have gone now. Look at the upper frontages on Percy Street opposite Haymarket as there are some similar type buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure about the last one either but there used to be some buildings around the back of the University that looked like that - which would make sense if the spire is St Thomas the Martyr. They have been demolished now if it is the same ones I am thinking of. Look at the upper frontages on Percy Street opposite Haymarket bus station for some similar type buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tried commenting twice but it doesn't want me to, so apologies if this shows up three times.

    There used to be some buildings like that round the back of the University which would make sense if the spire is St Thomas the Martyr. I think they were demolished last year. There are similar type buildings further down Percy Street - look at the upper frontages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. right sorry about this, you now have three near identical comments!

    ReplyDelete